Select a language:

Buying Flood Insurance

To buy a flood insurance policy, call your insurance agent or contact one of the participating insurance companies and type in your address or Write Your Own (WYO) insurance companies (see definition below) participating in the Mortgage Portfolio Protection Program (MPPP) (see definition below). Private insurance companies write flood insurance under a special arrangement with the Federal government.

If your agent does not write flood insurance or you don't have an agent, you may visit or call the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to obtain the name of an agent in your area who does write flood insurance. The number for the FEMA Mapping and Insurance eXchange (FMIX) center is (877) 336-2627.

Write Your Own (WYO) Program - A cooperative undertaking of the insurance industry and the Mitigation Division begun in October 1983. The WYO Program operates within the context of the NFIP and involves private insurance carriers who issue and service National Flood Insurance Program policies.

Mortgage Portfolio Protection Program (MPPP) - A program designed to help lending institutions to maintain compliance with the Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973, as amended. Policies written under the MPPP can be placed only through a WYO Company.

Homeowner’s insurance doesn't cover floods and with the California rainy season approaching, you are at a higher risk of flooding.

To find out how to get flood insurance, call your insurance agent today or visit