As a public service to unincorporated areas, the County of Orange will provide the following information upon request:
- Whether a property is in or out of the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on the current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) of unincorporated Orange County.
- Additional flood insurance data for a site, such as the FIRM zone and the base flood elevation or depth, if shown on the FIRM.
- We have a handout on the flood insurance purchase requirement that can help people who need a mortgage or loan for a property in the SFHA.
- The County of Orange maintains Elevation Certificates for new and substantially improved structures in the SFHA in unincorporated areas only since September 14, 1979. This may exclude homeowners that file an elevation certificate directly with FEMA and without issuance of a building permit.
- The County of Orange updates its Flood Insurance Rate Maps as needed when revisions are made to the maps.
If you would like to make an inquiry for unincorporated areas only, please provide the street address and, if available, the subdivision, lot and block number by contacting the Building Department.
The Building Department
Located at the County Service Center
phone (714) 647-8888
You may drop by the County Service Center. We are open Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (there is no charge for this service).
For inquiries outside of the unincorporated area, please contact your city floodplain administrator. Each city has pertinent information specific to that city such as the elevation certificates.